Road to a Bachelor's Kitchen : The 'so called' Inception


Road to a Bachelor’s kitchen is all about my struggles (including strategies, failures and patch ups) while cooking. I would rather say that I thought to take an initiative (after Ankit praised my food) to help people out there to put their heart out in cooking commonly available dishes at home. This is neither Hell’s Kitchen nor a typical Khana Khazana cookery show so fasten your seat belts for a non-stereotype cooking journey.
But wait!! I already feel like a celebrity. So why not begin this never ending saga with a brief history of time surrounding the cooking talent that I managed to grow. So here it is....

It had been a childhood dream of mine to ‘sometimes’ be a scientist or a doctor or an actor or maybe someone with lots of money to shell out. But then came those nights when my beloved ‘Buaji’ (Dad’s elder sister) used to wake me up at midnight, cook something for me, while me sitting on the kitchen sill and watching the process, however eating happily later. This was a frequent activity which down the line began sowing seeds of cooking enthusiasm. Few years later it was the turn of ‘Tayiji’ (Dad’s elder brother’s wife) who I would consider as the pioneer in driving me towards cooking. At the age of 9 I had successfully learned to make ginger tea and omelette. By the age of 11 I was a self-proclaimed chef trying to master in making maggi, pasta, noodles with tomato puree and anything which cannot be called as a proper meal of the day. But as the old folks say (or I guess I just made this on my own) that the slightest of the blunders can lead one to the dungeons of despondence.

 It was a winter evening when I thought to cook maggi. However in the process of cooking I got reminded of another activity. With a wrong estimation of cooking time, I started working on another activity and by the time this got completed, maggi turned yellow to black with big dark spots in the utensil. Something had to be done to get away with murder. I rushed towards the backyard to clean the heat radiating utensil but the curtains came in between out of nowhere leaving behind a big noticeable hole! To add flames to the misery, mom appeared simultaneously. What happened next is something I don’t want to express. Readers’ understanding is highly appreciated.

Days turned into years and there was no sign of cooking zeal. It was food crisis during engineering phase which ignited the withering coals. However due to unavailability of cooking apparatus, the only cuisines that I gave life where ready to make soups, maggi (revisit), mashed potato salad; anything that was possible or nearly possible to cook in an electric kettle.

The best can happen at the right time. It was time for the dormant volcano to turn active. Corporate life makes one very busy and equally jobless at times. Well such moments brought back the cooking glory which was once merely a ruminant of history. With the kitchen set up, it was time for the real show; moment for some serious cooking.

So this post kick starts an unending journey of cooking experiences across various cuisines. I will do my best to share what went wrong while cooking to help out the budding bachelors who seek to eat tending to home-made food. Stay tuned!!!

Comments

  1. Excellent choice of words. Nothing other than what you wrote could express certain things which you mentioned. And yes for the record you cook very good Maggi, definitely better than me and Ankit (no offence).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing short of philanthropy for the helpless bachelors, clueless whether to add one spoon of tea, or five, to brew a cup of it. I can vouch for you being a super-chef though; the chapatis and curry were perfect the other day! Will look to learn a thing or two from your experiences. Keep spreading the joy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Loud Silence

Encounter

The 'LionHearts' : Colours of Change